Monday, June 25, 2012

holidays

       Today was a grey day, but of the best sort. Of the sort that doesn't matter if you don't feel motivated and disciplined  - because, for once, you don't have to be. Today was the start of the holidays. That blissful feeling of knowing that you don't have to do anything, flooded my soul from the  moment I opened my eyes  this morning. And so I didn't do anything. I closed my eyes again. I didn't go back to sleep, just lay there, revelling in the luxurious sound of rain pitter-pattering on the roof.

At about 10 o'clock, I enticed myself out of bed with the thought of a cup of tea, which I got - along with a book - and returned to my bed. And there I stayed for most of the day, until in the late afternoon I sprang out, got dressed, scribbled down this post, swept the floor and made an enormous batch of creamy potato and bacon chowder for tea.

Sometimes it's doing absolutely nothing - thinking nothing, planning nothing - that replenishes the inspiration and enthusiasm for work and creativity. Yes, too many lazy days can dampen and snuff motivation, but if rare, they are just the thing for refreshment and inspiration. Now, after a day of nothingness, I feel not only ready, but enthused for a productive holiday. My head is brimming with plans and ideas - without my trying to put them there.



Happy holidays.  

6 comments:

Lauren said...

Hi Elizabeth

I loved this post. It sounds as if you had a lovely day.

Unfortunately at our house, if you sleep in and relax, you will be rudely interrupted or woken from the sound of neighbours playing noisy games with my brothers.

Anyway, Thank you so much for your contribution to my interview. I really enjoyed doing it, and all the answers were fascinating.

Love Lauren

Holly said...

oh yes, i'm enjoying the holidays! life is just great at the moment... :)
love your nail polish by the way! very pretty.
xoxo

Makenzie said...

Great post Eebee! :) There ain't much so good as reading all day, especially if the book is as wonderful as The Lord of the Rings! :P

India said...

Lovely post Eebee. Yes, I know what you mean... doing nothing is so sweet sometimes. You know what though? we really should get together sometime these holidays :)
xoxoxo

Alice said...

Ohh -- how I love holidays! And you're an amazing writer, dear! <3

Lauren said...

Hi Ebee

I've awarded you at my blog (http://jillahorse.blogspot.com)

Have a lovely day ( :

~Lauren